Mormon Tabernacle & Friends album will be released May 12, 2017.
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is one of the largest religious, commercial choirs in the United States. Consisting of 360 members, the choir is the musical voice of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since its inception, the singing group has been recognized globally for their classical repertory, earning prestigious awards such as the Emmys and Grammys over the years. Some of the group’s most well-regarded songs are “He is Risen” and “Heavensong”.new Mormon Tabernacle Choir’s album will be titled The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Friends and will mark fifteen years’ worth of music from the choir. The album, which will be officially in stores from the May 12 with cuts across numerous genres to present followers with the best from the well-known group.
The music director for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Mack Wilberg reiterated the group had carefully selected each song on the album’s playlist, “Special care went into choosing each of the songs for this new album,” Wilberg said. The album the choir will be launching will consist of crowd favorites from the choir as well as four new tracks tailored to the album itself. These tracks will be:
1. Sting and Yo-Yo Ma, "Fragile."
2. David Foster, “The Prayer” from Quest for Camelot
3. Amy Grant, "Thy Word."
4. James Taylor, "That Lonesome Road, A Capella version."
5. Santino Fontana, “He Lives in You” from the stage version of The Lion King
6. Renée Fleming, “How Can I Keep from Singing?”
7. Brian Stokes Mitchell, “Through Heaven’s Eyes” from The Prince of Egypt
8. Sissel Kyrkjebǿ, "Vitae Lux."
9. Bryn Terfel, "Homeward Bound."
10. Angela Lansbury, “Beauty and the Beast” from the film Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
11. The King's Singers, "I'm Runnin' On."
Though the theme for the album is not apparent, Mormon Tabernacle stated the purpose of the album was to celebrate their years of friendship with the various artists featured on the album. Indeed, all of the artists who appear on the playlist have sung with the choir from time to time, and some even numerous times at the choir’s holiday performances among other times. The album is also a celebration of the years that the choir has been singing, an offering of the best music for all the choir’s followers.
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir will appear on all songs on the album. The songs, with their varying styles running everywhere from pop to rock and roll to classical and instrumentals, will all bring a message of love and faith to whomever who listens to them. Additionally the choir will feature with a different guest singer(s) on each track, as well as with the Orchestra at Temple Square, a 150-volunteer group that has performed with the choir throughout the years.
— Mormon Tab. Choir (@MormonTabChoir) April 18, 2017
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir -New Mormon Tabernacle Choir & Friends CD announced
- PR Newswire