In fact, you could almost call May 9th a Scientology holiday. Here are five reasons this is such an important day for Scientologists.
1. May 9, 1950 was the day the first editions of Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health rolled off the press. Described by the leading columnist of the day Walter Winchell as containing “discoveries greater than the wheel or fire,” the work immediately rose to the New York Times bestseller list and gave rise to some 750 Dianetics groups throughout the United States and more countries throughout the English-speaking world. Dianetics is often referred to as “Book One”—the first of Mr. Hubbard’s published works on Dianetics and Scientology.
“The energy that I felt afterwards, I didn’t realize I could ever feel it again. I was able to go back my quality of life.”
2. In Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard laid out his discovery of the single source of nightmares, unreasonable fears, upsets, insecurities and psychosomatic illness—the reactive mind. He described the reactive mind in detail and delineated simple, practical, easily taught technology to overcome it and reach the state of Clear. The word Dianetics is derived from the Greek dia, meaning “through,” and nous, “mind or soul.” Dianetics is further defined as “what the soul is doing to the body.” When the mind adversely affects the body, it is described as a psychosomatic condition. Psycho refers to “mind or soul” and somatic refers to “body.” Thus, psychosomatic illnesses are physical illnesses caused by the soul.
3. Dianetics is now published in 50 languages, with more on the way, making this technology available to virtually anyone anywhere. There are Dianetics counseling groups in countries the world over, with new people picking up the book and teaming up to use the technology. Scientologists, committed to helping others experience the personal gains and knowledge that they have received from the religion, are celebrating the fact that 90 percent of the people of Earth may now learn about the incredible breakthrough that is Dianetics and benefit from it.
Mr. David Miscavige announcing the single most momentous advance in Dianetics technology. https://t.co/f5RcQWo6KD
— Dianetics (@Dianetics) April 29, 2016
4. Every day, new people are learning about Dianetics and using it to help themselves and others. In June 2009, Mr. David Miscavige, Chairman of the Board Religious Technology Center and ecclesiastical leader of the Scientology religion, announced a development that has made it even easier for anyone to benefit from Dianetics—the publication of 32 new films in 17 languages—a total of four and a half hours of visual instruction in the principles and procedures of the subject. These films are used in the new Hubbard Dianetics Seminar. Dianetics readers may participate in this seminar at any Scientology Mission or Church. Or if there is no Scientology Church or Mission nearby, they may simply watch the film and pair up with someone to use these techniques. Within a matter of a few hours, they begin auditing (delivering Dianetics techniques to another. The word “auditing” comes from the Latin word audire—to listen).
5. But the primary reason Scientologists celebrate May 9 is because they know personally how much Dianetics is helping people. Life-changing success stories from the application of Dianetics pour in from around the world:
To learn more about Dianetics, order a copy of the book or enroll on a Dianetics seminar, visit the Dianetics website at www.Dianetics.org.
The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and are not necessarily those of World Religion News.
WRN Featured Contributors are comprised of two groups: A) The official spokespersons affiliated with a religion or religious organization or B) WRN hand-picked religion and theology writers from around the web. If you would like to be a featured contributor, please contact us here.