Tim Kaine Might Be Popular with Religious ‘Nones’
The Jesuit spirituality of Tim Kaine could be for the ‘nones’
There is the growing group that the recent Pew Research Center’s Religious Landscape Study refers to as “nones.” Not to be confused with atheists (or nuns for that matter). They are spiritual, just not religious in that they don’t associate themselves with a particular organized religion.
Tim Kaine Might Be Popular with Religious ‘Nones'[/tweetthis]
Nones’ spirituality is focused on the service of others, not adherence to strict moral code.
After “Vatican II,” the Jesuit order of the Catholic Church deemphasized (yet not opposed) “issues of sexual purity,” and “remained focused on service, justice, and issues of poverty.” Many thought the rest of the Catholic Church would be getting with the times and updating their policies. However, it actually ended up making abortion one of the top issues in politics in America and led to creating the Christian right, reports The Daily Beast.
— Renee K. Gadoua (@ReneeKGadoua) July 26, 2016
Enter Democratic Vice Presidential candidate Tim Kaine. He is a Jesuit Catholic, having traveled to Honduras to help missionaries with their work, noting his service to others was a “powerful experience” and a “transformative event.”
It is also worth noting that Pope Francis is the first Jesuit pope.
Even Tim Kaine calls himself “boring” and, as a white, middle-aged male, might seem a curious choice as Hillary Clinton strives to become the first female President. But considering that 70 percent of nones support the Democratic Party, Kaine’s addition to the ticket just might rope in a large portion of the remaining 30 percent, while solidifying the intentions of the original 70 percent.
Kaine also satisfies the left when it comes to the hot button issue of abortion and his church. While he is anti-abortion, he does not believe the government should force that issue on the people (a mantra of many pro-choice voters).
Kaine does come up short for progressives in some ways. He has nurtured a give-and-take relationship with Wall Street. But as a Vice Presidential candidate, he just might give more moderate Christians as reason to vote blue instead of red this fall.